Monday 20 June 2016

City of Ashes, Chapter 6: Last week there was no incest, this week...


Hey hey! Lots has happened since I last posted, so hopefully you’ll forgive my absence. But I’m officially a holder of a BA in English!



I like to think this adds some sort of merit to these reviews; in reality it makes me seem a little more pretentious, and I think I’m okay with that.

Fairy’s got her first tattoos, and now they’re off to fight the bad guys without Adult Supervision because they are Young Strong Teens who don’t need the help of anyone over seventeen.

what is the difference between Ariel and Clary? We just don't know.



They make it into the creepy Angel graveyard entrance, which to me feels like a missed opportunity for a quirky side character. Like how hilarious would it have been if this:

He took a dagger from his belt and drew the blade of it across his bare palm. Blood welled from the shallow gash. Making a fist over the stone cup [in the stone Angel’s hands], he let the blood drip into it. [ … ] The stone Angel’s eyelids flew open.



Had been followed by something like, “Don’t you guys ever sleep? God, I’m surrounded by dead people and I can’t seem to get any peace! What the do you guys want?” totally voiced by Eddie Murphy.

No? Just me?

As they’re entering the Silent City, we learn this fun fact about it:

“Brother Jeremiah told me what they do to your dead. They burn them up and use most of the ashes to make the City’s marble.”

WHICH IS THE CREEPIEST THING EVER. Please imagine being in a building made out of dead people. Wait, no, don't imagine that.

They discover lots of dead Silent Brothers, and this passage is tedious to read because we know this already. The previous chapter had Valentine detailing how he had killed all the Silent Brothers, so to have us watch the main characters discover it is redundant, because the suspense is completely gone. What should have happened is that the deaths should not have been alluded to in the slightest, so that we could feel the same sense of danger they’re feeling going into the Silent City.

As it stands, I’m feeling the same frustration I feel when I’m forced to sit through a ‘previously on’ at the beginning of a TV show—I KNOW. I WAS JUST THERE. LET’S HURRY UP.

Fairy can somehow ‘sense’ Jace (must be some super-secret Incest beacon) and she bursts into a locked room using her Stele (or wand, for those of you following along with the Cassandra Clare Plagiarism Debacle).

And hooray! More uncomfortable sibling interactions:

“I came to find you,” she said, because it was the truth.
A spasm went across his face. “You’re really here? I’m not—I’m not dead, am I?”
“No,” she said, gliding her hand down the side of his face. “You just passed out, is all. Probably hit your head too.”
His hand came up to cover hers where it lay on his cheek. “Worth it.”

YES. I’M SURE AFTER NEARLY BEING KILLED BY YOUR GENOCIDAL FATHER, RIGHT AFTER HE SLAUGHTERED AN ANCIENT RACE OF BEINGS, THAT SEEING CLARY COME RESCUE YOU MADE IT WORTH IT FOR EVERYONE. I AM 100% CERTAIN EVERYONE WOULD AGREE. YEP.



Alec and Isabelle run in (somehow after this whole weird exchange even though they were right behind her) and prevent any more disgusting moments. They recap everything that just happened again because apparently CC literally thinks the people reading this book have the attention span of a tiny goldfish and they forget every plot point unless it’s repeated to them five billion times.

They exit the Silent City with Jace, and step back into the graveyard/garden completely surrounded by Shadowhunters, who are being lead by Maryse, just waiting in the garden for them to leave.

And the chapter ends! And that’s it! And I swear to the gods I’ll have a Divergent recap up next week! Lord knows I'm not doing much else.


No comments:

Post a Comment